'Superstar Chef' Sedlak dead

Chef Anthony Sedlak, 29, was found dead in his North Vancouver apartment on Friday, July 6, 2012 at...

Chef Anthony Sedlak, 29, was found dead in his North Vancouver apartment on Friday, July 6, 2012 at 7 p.m. (HANDOUT / QMI AGENCY)

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 10:25 AM ET

Food show host, cookbook author and the winner of the Superstar Chef Challenge, Anthony Sedlak, is dead.

The body of the 29-year-old chef was found in his North Vancouver apartment at 7 p.m. Friday, a press release said.

"His unexpected and sudden death has devastated his family, friends and the culinary community," the release said.

When he was 23, Sedlak won silver at the World Junior Chef Challenge in Auckland, New Zealand. Later that same year, he won the Food Network's Superstar Chef Challenge.

For four seasons, Sedlak hosted Food Network Canada's show, The Main, and wrote a best selling cookbook with the same name.

He co-opened the American Cheesesteak Co. restaurant earlier this year in Vancouver and was working on the Toronto Don Valley Hotel Suites' restaurants and room service menus at the time of his death.

No cause of death was given and the release said the exact time of Sedlak's death is also unknown.

"The Sedlak family thanks Anthony's fans and associates for all their love, devotion and condolences," the release said, adding a private funeral will be held in Vancouver.

Sedlak made headlines last November when he failed to show up to a food and beer demonstration in Ottawa. In 2010, he dropped 50 lbs after discovering a love for cycling.

His last posts on Twitter and Facebook were June 25, when he was promoting the American Cheesesteak Co.

 

 


Videos

Photos